Requiring just four simple ingredients, this recipe for Duck Breast with Apples makes an elegant, low calorie autumn dinner entree that is ready in less than an hour. Cooked slowly in a skillet, the duck breasts become tender and juicy. Let the duck rest in aluminum foil while you prepare the apples by lightly sauteeing them with sugar or honey. Slice the duck breast and serve with the sauteed apple wedges for a sweet and savory dinner entree.
- 1 duck breast (large)
- 2 apples (large, peeled and cut into eighths)
- sugar (or honey, optional)
- Make some slices on the fat cap of the duck breast, being careful not to cut all the way down to the meat.
- Heat a skillet on low heat and, once hot, add the duck breast fat-first. The heat will start to render the fat. As it does so, spoon it out of the skillet and reserve it. That way, the skin of the breast will crisp.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, raise the heat to medium and remove all the fat from the skillet. Salt to taste and turn the breast. Cook for another 5 minutes (depending on how rare you like your duck).
- Remove the duck from the skillet, wrap it in aluminum foil, and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- While the duck rests, add about 2 tablespoons of duck fat back into the skillet with the apple wedges. Add a sprinkling of sugar or drizzle of honey (optional). Saute on medium heat until softened.
- Slice the duck breast thickly and serve with the apple wedges.
|Calories130Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.