Zaire's Family Recipe For Kickin' Jerk ChickenFOODISTA
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons garlic (fresh, crushed)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or molasses)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dark rum (optional, but encouraged)
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 juice (lime)
- 2 pepper (Scotch bonnet)
- 3 green onions (diced)
- 1 cup white onion (diced)
- 2 pounds chicken pieces (I always encourage people to use legs and thighs, but breasts will work as well)
- lime (for garnish)
- Place chicken in a large freezer bag and pour in spice blend. Place in a bowl to make sure there isn't any leakage and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but up to a day is preferable.
- Put all of the Spice Blend ingredients in a blender and whiz until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees or grill.
- If using an oven, place chicken skin side up on a roasting pan and roast until cooked through (about 45 minutes) flipping once halfway through the process.
- If using a grill, place chicken skin-side down and grill until skin becomes crisp. Flip and finishing cooking thoroughly. Don't be afraid to blacken the chicken with this recipe.