- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onions (medium, chopped)
- 3 tablespoons shallots (minced)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno chilies (thinly sliced, I chopped it)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 clam juice (bot, 8 oz)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 stalk lemongrass (bottom 6 inches, lightly crushed*)
- 18 clams, well scrub (smalls hard shell)
- shrimp (pound medium raw, deveined but not peeled, I peeled the)
- 1 cup peeled tomatoes (chopped, I used canned diced to)
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint (shredded)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Prepare the stock: Heat the olive oil in a 5 quart pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add the onion, shallots, garlic, and chile and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, water, clam juice, wine, fish sauce and lemongrass.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. remove the lemon grass.
- Add the clams, shrimp, and fish. Cover and simmer until the clams open and the shrimp turns pink, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, green onions, basil and mint and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the sesame oil. As you serve the soup, discard any unopened clams.
- Note: I served this with crusty bread and a cucumber salad sprinkled with chopped walnuts and chopped raw onion.
|Calories220Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.