Though the ingredients may sound unusual, this extra "creamy," extra "cheesy" vegan mac n' cheese will have everyone coming back for seconds.
- 8 ounces unsalted cashews (soaked)
- 1 pound short-cut pasta
- 1 1/2 cups sauerkraut (drained and firmly-packed)
- 4 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 36 round buttery crackers (ex: Ritz)
- 4 tablespoons vegan buttery spread (melted)
- Before beginning the recipe, place the raw cashews in a bowl of room temperature water and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the nuts to soak for a minimum of 2 hours, but preferably 8.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Spray a 9x13” baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt.
- Add the noodles to the water. Cook for 9-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente.
- Drain the pasta in a large colander, and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Drain the cashew nuts from the soaking water and place them into the bowl of a food processor or high-power blender. Add the sauerkraut, cashew milk, nutritional yeast, olive oil, flour, spices, salt, and pepper.
- Process or blend the mixture on high speed for 5-8 minutes, until completely smooth and the consistency of thick cream.
- Pour the sauce into a large pot, and set over medium heat.
- Heat the sauce, whisking steadily for 5-6 minutes, or until it starts to thicken and bubble.
- Once the sauce begins to bubble, remove the pot from the heat. Add the drained pasta noodles to the pot. Stir until combined.
- Pour the noodles into the prepared baking dish.
- Place the crackers in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Pulse 4 or 5 times, or until they are the texture of coarse sand.
- Transfer the cracker crumbs to a large bowl.
- Place the buttery spread in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30-40 seconds, until melted.
- Pour the melted buttery spread over the cracker crumbs. Mix with a fork until the crumbs are evenly moistened.
- Sprinkle the cracker crumbs in an even layer over the pasta. Transfer the dish to the preheated oven.
- Bake the macaroni for 22-24 minutes, until the edges are bubbling and the cracker crumbs are slightly browned.
- Remove the dish from the oven. Allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes before serving
PER SERVING *
|Calories430Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.