- 3 pounds pork shoulder (cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Crisco Pure Corn Oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 32 corn husks
- 1 cup Crisco Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups corn masa flour
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- SEASON pork with salt. Heat oil in 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pork, cooking and stirring until browned on all sides. Add onion and garlic, cooking until onion is soft. Stir in tomato sauce, chipotle chiles, oregano, cumin and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Shred meat and set aside.
- POUR boiling water to cover over corn husks in shallow pan. Let set for at least 30 minutes. Drain and dry with paper towels.
- BEAT shortening, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl, with electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Blend in masa flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing on low speed. Gradually add chicken broth, until dough is the consistency of creamy mashed potatoes.
- SPREAD 3 tablespoons masa dough on a dry corn husk, leaving a 1-inch border along top and sides of husk. Spoon 2 tablespoons pork filling in center. Fold the left side, then right side of the corn husk over the filling. Fold the long pointed end up towards the center. Wrap a 1/4-inch strip of corn husk around tamale. Tie strip to secure filling. Repeat process making 32 tamales.
- REMOVE basket from steamer. Place steamer filled with water to boil on stove. Arrange tamales in steamer basket, open ends facing upward. Cover and bring water to a full boil. Reduce water to a gentle simmer. Cook 1 hour or until husks begin to pull away from filling. Add additional water to steamer as needed. Allow tamales to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
|Calories170Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.