Slow Cooker Lentil Sloppy JoesYUMMLY
These hearty sandwiches capture all the rich, sweet, and spicy BBQ sauce flavor you’d expect from traditional sloppy Joes, but in a vegetarian version. Prep takes just a few minutes, and then you can go do your thing while your slow cooker takes over. The recipe, which makes 5 cups, is a Yummly original created by The Electrified Cooks.
- nonstick cooking spray (or a little vegetable oil)
- 1 cup brown lentils (or green lentils)
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 oz. per can)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. prepared yellow mustard
- 4 tsp. cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. hot sauce (such as Tabasco, plus more for serving)
- 6 hamburger buns
- pickle slices (dill or sweet; optional)
- Spray a 4- to 6-qt. slow cooker with cooking spray. Sort lentils to discard any that are shriveled or discolored, then rinse lentils and drain. Finely chop onion, carrot, and red pepper.
- Put lentils and chopped vegetables in the slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, vegetable broth, ketchup, brown sugar, tomato paste, mustard, vinegar, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and hot sauce.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on Low until lentils are tender, 4-5 hours. If possible, stir lentils once or twice during cooking.
- Split and toast hamburger buns. Set bottoms of buns on plates, spoon lentil mixture on top, and add sliced pickles if you like. (If buns won’t hold all the lentils, you can serve some lentils on the side.) Set tops of buns in place. Serve with more hot sauce.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories290Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes