Quick and Easy FalafelYUMMLY
A fantastic vegan meal option, falafel are easy to make and even more fun to assemble into your own sandwich and eat. This version made with canned chickpeas are crisp on the outside, moist and fluffy inside. All you need is the creamy, tangy tahini sauce for dipping and crunchy pickles and veggies for the perfect bite. The recipe, which makes 12 to 15 falafel, is a Yummly original created by Rania Renno.
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oz. per can, drained; no need to rinse)
- 3 Tbsp. onion (coarsely grated and squeezed dry of excess liquid)
- 5 cloves garlic (divided)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (coarsely)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp. salt (divided)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper (or black pepper)
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. cold water (plus more if needed)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- pita bread (warm)
- dill pickles (Sliced, or other sour pickle)
- sliced tomatoes (and/or radishes, or other fresh vegetables of your choice)
- Add drained chickpeas, onion, 3 cloves garlic, the parsley, cilantro, flour, 3/4 tsp. salt, the baking soda, cumin, coriander, white pepper, allspice, and baking powder to a food processor. Pulse until just combined; there should be no large chunks, but a little texture is what we’re going for. Let mixture rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare tahini sauce. Crush remaining 2 cloves garlic. In a medium bowl, combine garlic, tahini paste, lemon juice, water, and remaining 1 tsp. salt until smooth. The sauce will be thick enough to dollop onto the falafel, but if you prefer a sauce that drizzles, stir in more water 1 Tbsp. at a time for a thinner consistency.
- Pour about 2 inches oil into a 4- to 5-quart pot. Set over medium-high heat and bring to 350°F, using a deep-frying thermometer to check oil temperature. While oil is heating, spoon 2 Tbsp. portions of falafel mixture onto a plate. Shape falafel using 2 spoons or wet hands to create football shapes or balls.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories420Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes