Quick and Creamy Tomato SoupYUMMLY
For best flavor, our classic soup goes with canned San Marzano tomatoes, an Italian heirloom variety that bursts with sweetness and is available at most supermarkets. Jarred roasted red bell peppers, a little basil, and balsamic vinegar add to the sweet-tart flavor balance, and a splash of cream gives the soup its satiny texture. The fresh basil garnish makes the soup extra special, but it’s optional. Pair the silky smooth tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches for a comfort food match made in heaven. The recipe, which makes 6 1/2 cups, is a Yummly original created by Ivy Manning.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, dried basil, and ½ tsp. salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Next add the tomatoes and their juice, broth, roasted red peppers, and balsamic vinegar. Increase heat to medium-high and bring soup to a simmer. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook soup, stirring occasionally, until the flavors have melded, about 15 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup in the pan until smooth. Alternatively, blend soup in batches in a blender with the lid ajar to allow steam to escape, then return the soup to the pan.
- Return soup to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Add cream and 1/4 tsp. pepper, and stir to combine. Ladle soup into bowls, top with fresh basil, if using, and add more salt and pepper if you like.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories270Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.