Like eating pumpkin pie for breakfast, this casserole is the perfect addition to your fall brunch table.
- 1 pound day-old challah
- 8 eggs
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
- maple syrup (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 9x13” casserole dish liberally with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut the bread into 1” cubes and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, milk, vanilla extract, spices, and salt until smooth and combined. Place the bread cubes into the bowl. Fold with a rubber spatula until all the bread is thoroughly coated in the egg and milk mixture.
- Transfer the soaked bread cubes to the prepared casserole dish.
- Transfer the casserole dish to the preheated oven.
- Bake the french toast for 45-50 minutes, until it is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven.
- Allow the French toast to cool in the dish for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Just before serving, sift powdered sugar over the top of the dish, if desired. Cut the French toast into squares, or simply transfer to a plate with a large spoon. Serve drizzled with maple syrup.
|Calories200Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.