- 3 pounds butternut squash (halved lengthwise, seeded)
- 6 large garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage (dried)
- 2 3/4 cups low salt chicken broth (canned, or vegetable broth)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups polenta
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (minced)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (freshly)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Arrange squash, cut side up, in large roasting pan.
- Place garlic cloves in squash cavities. Drizzle oil over. Sprinkle with dried sage, salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake until squash is tender, about 1 hour 35 minutes. Cool slightly. Peel squash and garlic. Transfer to processor and puree.
- Combine broth, 1 3/4 cups water and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil. Gradually whisk in polenta. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until mixture is very thick and creamy, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Stir in fresh sage and 3 cups squash puree (reserve any remaining puree for another use). Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper.