- 1 cup cornmeal (coarse)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion (small, thin sliced)
- 1 cup bell pepper (thin sliced)
- 10 mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 zucchini (small, thin sliced)
- 5 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (minced, or 2T fresh)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese (Part Skim Milk grated)
- 2 tomatoes (smalls, sliced, or 1 med)
- Combine cornmeal, salt, and cold water in a small bowl. have the boiling water on the stove in a saucepan, and add the cornmeal mixture, whisking. cook about 10 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently. it will get very thick. remove from heat, and let cool until handleable.
- Preheat oven to 375F. oil a 10-inch pie pan. add the polenta, and use a spatula and wet hands to form it into a smooth, thick crust over the bottom and sides of the pan and bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, heat 1 t olive oil in a medium-sized skillet.
- Add the onion, and saute for 5 to 8 minutes, or until it begins to soften. add bell pepper, mushrooms, and zucchini, and saute until everything is tender. stir in the garlic and herbs, and saute just a few minutes more.
- Turn up the oven to broiling temperature. sprinkle half the cheese onto the bottom of the baked crust, then add the tomato slices. spread the sauteed mixture over the tomatoes, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. broil until brown (about 5 minutes) and serve hot.
|Calories540Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.