This recipe for the Thanksgiving classic is sure to make the best pumpkin pie you've ever tried. The secret to a perfectly textured filling? Removing the excess water from the pumpkin puree before using!
- 1 pie crust (store-bought)
- 15 ounces pumpkin purée
- 1 1/8 cups evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Adjust a rack to sit on the lowest position in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Place the pie crust into a 9” pie plate. Crimp the edges of the crust with either a fork, spoon, of clean hands.
- Line the pie crust with a sheet of parchment paper large enough to hang over the edges of the plate, and fill with pie weights. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the crust from the freezer to the oven. Bake the crust on the lowest rack for 15-17 minutes, until the edges of the crust are the slightest bit golden and the center of the crust is matte.
- Remove the crust from the oven and carefully lift off the parchment and pie weights.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350° F.
- Lay a clean dish towel on a counter top. Carefully scoop the pumpkin puree into the center of the towel. Gather the towel around the pumpkin, creating a sack.
- Working over the sink, firmly squeeze as much water out of the pumpkin puree as possible.
- Place the pressed pumpkin puree into a large mixing bowl. Add the evaporated milk, eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, spices, salt, and pepper. Whisk steadily until the mixture is completely smooth and no lumps of pumpkin remain.
- Pour the filling into the blind-baked crust. Cover the edges of the pie with a pie shield or strips of aluminum foil.
- Transfer the pie to the lowest rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the pie for 50-55 minutes, until the crust is golden and the filling is firm and puffed at the edges.
- Remove the pie from the oven. Allow to cool at room temperature for at least 2 hours. Transfer the pie to the refrigerator to chill at least 2 hours more before slicing and serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories300Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.