- 1 puff pastry (recipe, chilled,, see All-purpose flour for dusting)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 3/4 cups grated parmesan cheese (finely)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (plus)
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees with the rack in the center. Place the chilled puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough until it is about 1/8-inch thick, making a 24- by 26-inch piece. Use a sharp knife to trim the edges of the dough; this will help make the straws uniform as they cook. Brush the dough lightly with the melted butter. Sprinkle the dough with 3/4 cup of the Parmesan, 1 tablespoon of the poppy seeds, and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- With the short side of the dough facing you, fold the dough in half, bringing the top edge down toward you. Brush the surface of the dough with the egg. Sprinkle with the remaining salt, remaining poppy seeds, and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Using a very sharp knife, cut the dough vertically into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Transfer 6 of the strips onto a baking sheet, spacing them evenly apart. Grab each end of a dough strip with your fingers, and carefully stretch and twist the strip in opposite directions. Continue with the remaining strips of dough. (Unbaked dough should be stored in the refrigerator to stay cool. The straws may be twisted, covered with plastic
- Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes to firm up. Using both hands, transfer the sticks to a wire rack or serving platter.
|Calories880Calories from Fat600|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat600|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.