Once you try this classic Chinese takeout dish at home, you'll never go back. Along the way, Jet teaches you principles of Asian sauces, making tempura batter, and deep frying safely at home.
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger root (fresh, minced)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic cloves (chopped, fresh)
- 3 ounces orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 3 ounces white vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 drop red food coloring (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (mixed with 1 Tbsp. water)
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 1/2 cups tempura flour (divided)
- 1 1/2 quarts vegetable oil
- 2 pounds chicken thighs (trimmed of fat, cut in to 2-inch dice, patted dry)
- 1 cup scallions (2-inch slice, reserve some for serving)
- freshly cooked rice (for serving)
- Break off any small fingers on the ginger root, then square off the top and bottom of the main finger. Cut off any protruding pieces. Scrape off the skin of the ginger with the back of the knife. Slice into 1/8-inch tiles, then into 1/8-inch sticks. Finely dice.
- Crush and roughly chop 2 cloves garlic into large pieces.
- For the sauce: In a small saucepan over low heat, whisk together 3 oz. orange juice, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, 1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce, 1/2 cup oyster sauce, 3 oz. white vinegar, 1/2 Tbsp. smoked paprika, 1-2 drops red food coloring, garlic, and ginger. Mix cornstarch and water into a slurry, then add to the saucepan and whisk to distribute evenly. Stir for a few minutes until sauce thickens into a glaze. Remove from heat and reserve. (Pro tip: Dip the back of a wooden spoon into the sauce. Wait for it to cool and then run your finger from edge to edge. Turn the spoon on its side. If the sauce doesn't run past the line then the sauce is ready.)
Hdhdjd 2 months ago
Really easy with Jet leading you through the directions. I wish i added a bit more orange to it. I think i will zest the orange next time around.
Evangeline DeGraaf 3 months ago
Amazing! I didn’t think I could make it better than the restaurants, but I did! Such a great recipe! I loved the step by step, it really gave me confidence all alone the way.
Dudley Bourgeois 3 months ago
everything came out perfect, but when i put the sauce in the hot pan at the end, i almost burned it. it still tasted great.
Andrew S. 4 months ago
Wow!!! I think it could be better. I might have screwed up and over cooked the sauce. Had a little bitterness. Need to figure out how to make it more orange color. Over all i thought it was a good recipe. The wife and 2 children loved it.
Mahmood Abuidrees 5 months ago
nice crunchy n tasty