- 1 active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (between 105 F and 115 F)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (soft)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 cup milk (Scalded)
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed (opt.)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (finely)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or honey)
- Dissolve yeast in water. In large bowl, combine yeast, sugar or honey, salt, butter, egg, milk and 2 cups flour. Beat with wooden spoon until mixed. Gradually add flour until dough can be handled and begins to separate from the sides of the bowl. Knead 5 minutes on a wll floured flat surface or until elastic (pinch it to check for elasticity). Grease bottom of a clean bowl, put dough in it and roll so all sides are covered with the oil. Cover dough with plastic or clean cloth/towel, let rise 1 1/4 hour in warm place away from air drafts.
- Meanwhile,prepare filling. Melt butter in small saucepan. Add onions, and sauté until just tender (5 minutes). Combine cheese, poppy seed,and garlic salt,set both mixtures aside. When dough has risen, punch down, and place on floured work surface. Divide in 2. Roll each piece into a square 12"x12". Spoon half of fillings on each piece of dough. Spread, roll up like jelly roll,seal. Place loaves ,seam side down, on French bread pan.
- Cover again and let rise in a warm place away from drafts for another 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Uncover, bake in preheated 350 F oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden. Remove from pan at once. Serve while still warm.
|Calories660Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.