- 2 cups ham (diced OR cooked, crumbled bacon or sausage)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 8 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 8 slices sourdough bread (or up to 12 depending on the size of the slices)
- 5 cups jack cheese (blend, shredded)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Arrange half of the slices, buttered side down, in a single layer in a 9x13-inch baking pan. Top with half of the cheese, half of the ham and half of the egg mixture. Add a second layer of bread, cheese, ham and egg mixture. Sprinkle the paprika on top, cover and set aside in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the casserole uncovered until the eggs are set, about 45 minutes.