- 8 pounds fully cooked bone-in ham
- 3 tablespoons molasses (divided*)
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup bacon fat (from cooking bacon)
- 1/2 teaspoon shallot (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee (not dark roast, at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (reduced-sodium)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried, finely chopped)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Position the rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Line the bottom of a shallow roasting pan with aluminum foil.
- Score a diamond pattern into the ham, about 1/3 inch deep. Place the ham, flat side down, in the pan. Bake until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F., on a meat thermometer, 15 to 18 minutes per pound. During the last 30 minutes of baking time, brush the ham with 1/3 cup of the molasses. Remove ham from the oven, transfer to a cutting board, and let rest 10 minutes.