- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (One packet)
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup milk (lukewarm)
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 3/4 cups flour (You may need up to 5 1/2 cups)
- 12 sausage links (fully cooked)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup jalapeño (slices)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (or whichever bowl you plan on mixing everything in), combine the yeast and water. Let rest to proof about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer on low, add milk, butter, eggs, sugar, and salt until evenly combined.
- Add 2 cups of flour and mix until blended. Add 2 more cups and mix until blended. Add the remaining 3/4 cup and continue mixing. If the dough still sticks to the side of the bowl, continue adding flour about 2 tbs at a time until the right consistency is reached.
- Lightly grease the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest at room temperature until the dough has doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- Punch down the dough and divide into 12 portions. Roll each into rectangles about 5 inch by 2 1/2 inch long.
- Sprinkle 1 tbs cheese in a line down the middle. Layer on a few jalapeño slices, then lay on the sausage. Wrap the sausage in the dough, pinching to seal.
- Transfer the kolache to the baking sheet, and place seam side down. Let rest for 30 minutes while the oven preheats to 350 F.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool about 20 minutes before serving.
|Calories1140Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat400|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.