- 1 cup ham steak (diced)
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, plus more for the baking sheet, 3/4 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups smoked gouda (coarsely shredded, about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chives (chopped)
- 1 1/4 cups yogurt low-fat (plain, is okay)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened, 2 sticks)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Butter a large baking sheet (or coat it with nonstick spray).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. Use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to add the butter, working the mixture until it resembles a coarse meal. Stir in the ham, cheese and chives. Add the yogurt, stirring until just combined.
- Drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet in 12 equal mounds, about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the Maple Butter: in a medium bowl, combine the butter and maple syrup. Add salt to taste and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve the biscuits with Maple Butter on the side.