This recipe is a basic recipe for French Bread. You can use this French Bread as an appetizer or starter to a meal or serve as a side dish. Either way this French Bread recipe will not disappoint. Let us know your thoughts on this French Bread recip…
in the comments below. We love to see your response to cooking our recipes. You can also give this French Bread recipe a star rating for others to follow along.
- 7 grams yeast
- 1/3 cup water (tepid, not hotter than 38 Celsius)
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour (preferably unbleached, low in gluten- 8 or 9%)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups water (tepid, between 21-23 Celsius.)
- Preheat the oven to 230 Celsius.
- Dissolve the yeast in the 1/3 cup water. Set aside.
- Mix the flour with the yeast, salt, and the rest of the water.
- Place the dough into the mixer on low speed, adding water or flour as necessary.
- Remove from the mixer and let rest on a surface for 3 minutes.
- Return the dough to the bowl and mix again, on medium speed for 5 minutes. If necessary, repeat resting for 2 minutes and beating for 2 minutes until the dough is elastic.
- Knead on a floured surface until for approximately 2 minutes.
- Place into a clean greased bowl and set aside, covered, to rise in a warm place until tripled in volume, approximately 3-5 hours.
- Punch down the dough and turn out onto a floured surface. Knead until firm. Grease the bowl again. Place the dough back into the bowl and set aside, covered, to rise in a warm place until doubled or tripled in volume, approximately 2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, knead until firm and smooth, and form into an oval shape. Sprinkle with flour and wrap inside a cloth. Cover with plastic and set aside until doubled in volume, approximately 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours.
- Carefully place into a baking pan. Cut slightly into the bread with a serrated knife. Spritz or brush with cold water. Bake for 3 minutes, spritz or brush with water again, and repeat 3 more times.
- Place a few cubes of ice in the bottom of the oven and bake for 12 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
|Calories180Calories from Fat10|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat10|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.