Remove All from Shopping List
- Grease 2 (12-inch) cast iron camp Dutch ovens (ovens with flat lids).
- Make the cake: Sift and measure the flour into a medium bowl. Add the baking powder and salt and sift again. In a large bowl, beat the shortening. Gradually add the granulated sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture alternately with the milk and extracts. Beat until blended after each addition.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; gently fold into the batter until no white streaks remain. Divide the batter between the prepared Dutch ovens and bake with 8 coals evenly arranged underneath each oven and 17 coals on top of the lids of each oven. Cook until a wooden pick inserted into the center of each comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- Make the topping: While the cakes cool, make the Danish dessert following the package directions for the pie glaze.
- Flip the cakes out of the Dutch ovens onto their lids. Stir together 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar with the Cool Whip. In a separate bowl, beat together the remaining 1 cup confectioners' sugar and the cream cheese. Combine the cream cheese and Cool Whip mixtures. Spread about half the Cool Whip mixture on the top of one of the cakes. Arrange half the strawberries on top. Place the other cake layer on top and spread the remaining Cool Whip mixture of the cake layer. Arrange the remaining strawberries attractively over the topping and spread the Danish dessert over the strawberries.
|Calories670Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.