A very popular Cuban dish of rice and red beans where the rice is cooked with the deeply flavorful broth from the beans. Another popular version, called Moros and Cristiano's uses black beans, both are delicious.
- 1 cup red beans (dried, OR kidney beans, rinsed)
- 3 cups water (for soaking beans)
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 Mazola® Sobrecitos™ Chicken Flavor Bouillon Packets
- 4 teaspoons Mazola® Chicken Flavor Bouillon Powder
- 1 Spice Islands Bay Leaves
- 1 bone (lean, meaty ham, OR 1 cup diced, smoked ham)
- 2 tablespoons Mazola Corn Oil
- 1/4 cup salt pork (sliced, OR bacon)
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1/2 cup green pepper (diced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Spice Islands Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Spice Islands Medium Grind Black Pepper
- fresh parsley (Optional garnish, OR green onion slices)
- Bring water and beans to a boil over medium high heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat, cover and let stand for one hour. Drain beans and return to pan. (Beans can also be soaked at room temperature overnight.)
- Add hot water, bouillon, bay leaf, and ham bone to the beans. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Reserve meat from ham bone, discarding bone and bay leaf. Drain beans over a bowl reserving liquid.