These swirly cupcakes would be perfect for a kid's party, or to just have around for tucking into lunchboxes or serving with milk as an afterschool snack. (Adults will love them, too.) The chocolate part is made by mixing cocoa powder and just enoug…
milk to form a paste, and this is spooned on top of the plain cupcake batter in the cups and then swirled with a toothpick before baking. While they are great as is, you could also spread Nutella on top if desired.
- 10 tablespoons softened butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons powdered chocolate (for milk chocolate)
- milk (as needed)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Line wells of muffin tin with paper liners.
- Beat butter with sugar until creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition, until they are completely blended.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder and stir just until batter is smooth.
- Use a spoon to fill each cupcake mold 3/4 full.
- In a separate bowl, mix chocolate powder with a little milk to create a chocolate paste.
- Top each cupcake with 1 teaspoon chocolate paste and stir in a decorative swirl with a toothpick.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes