Some call it an oriental winter squash, some call it a pumpkin. Either way, it just might be the newest addition in your pantry. If you are looking for a new way to top your favorite bread or biscuit, then why not try this tasty treat. This Chinese…
Pumpkin Jam combines the Asian pumpkin with Equal sweetener, lemon peel and cinnamon sticks for a flavorful jam that the whole family will want for their breakfast or late night snack.
- 1 pumpkin (Asian)
- Equal (weight in sugar, the already cooked and drained pumpkin)
- 1 lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt (to taste)
- 250 milliliters water
- Break the pumpkin by throwing it on the ground. By hand, separate the pumpkin into pieces.
- Remove seeds, and the yellowish filaments.
- Wash pieces of pumpkin well, until they stop foaming.
- Place the pumpkin pieces in a container with water, with the peel side up.
- Soak overnight.
- The next day, bring to boil a large pot of salted water.
- Add the pumpkin, and cook for about 40 minutes, until very soft, and the skins begins to peel off.
- Once cooked, remove from pot, and let cool slightly.
- With a wooden or plastic spoon, never metal, scrape the squash into a bowl.
- Pour in a colander, and let drain for 30 minutes.
- Once drained, weigh the pumpkin, and then weigh out the same amount of sugar.
- In a pan, heat the sugar, water, cinnamon stick, and lemon peel.
- Stir, and let simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, and stir constantly, separating the threads.
- Remove from heat, let cool, and pour in sterilized jars.