Once in a while you will find a recipe that stands the test of time for decadence and pure bliss. This recipe for Asturian Pork and Beans is one to keep on hand for any holiday, special occasion or celebration. With the richness and delicious taste…
this recipe is full of flavor. it is a little bit of heaven in each bite. The hardest part of this delicious recipe, is deciding who will get to enjoy the other corners with you. Make a batch this weekend.
- 2 sausages (Asturian)
- 2 Asturian blood sausages
- 150 grams bacon
- 400 grams Asturian fava beans (or white beans)
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Soak beans overnight in plenty of water.
- In a large stock pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and lightly sauté the whole onion, garlic cloves, bay leaf, and sausages.
- Add drained beans and cover with water.
- Bring to boil on high heat, when beans start to boil "shock" them by pouring ice cold water on beans to stop cooking process.
- Repeat this step a few times. Reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Skim excess fat from the surface as it rises.
- Before serving, remove onion.
- Remove five or six fava beans, puree in a blender and return to pot.
- This will slightly thicken the broth. Do not add salt, the sausage provides enough salt.