This classic American apple pie simply can't be beat. Enjoy a slice on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- 2 pie crust (store-bought)
- 6 granny smith apples (large or 8 medium)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Adjust a rack to sit on the lowest position in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Place one pie crust into a 9” pie plate. Line with a sheet of parchment paper large enough to hang over the edges of the plate, and fill with pie weights.
- Bake the crust on the lowest rack for 15-17 minutes, until the edges of the crust are the slightest bit golden and the center of the crust is matte.
- Remove the crust from the oven and carefully lift off the parchment and pie weights.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425° F.
- Peel and core the apples. Slice the apples a scant 1/2” thick, and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the apples. Sprinkle in the sugar, brown sugar, flour, spices, and salt. Toss the apples until they are evenly coated in the sugar, flour, and spices.
- Transfer the apples into the blind-baked pie crust.
- With clean hands, tear the butter into pea-size pieces and sprinkle over the apples.
- Place the second pie crust on top of the pie. Using a fork, crimp the edges of the pie together. Poke the center of the pie with the fork two to three times, creating holes for steam to escape.
- Use a fork to beat the egg with one teaspoon of water. Lightly brush the egg in a thin layer over the surface of the pie.
- Cover the edges of the pie with a pie guard or strips of aluminum foil.
- Transfer the pie to the lowest rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350° F.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes longer, until the crust is golden and the juices are bubbling slightly at the edges.
- Remove the pie from the oven. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 4 hours before slicing and serving.
|Calories410Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Adi Nahum 29 days ago
Yammmi yayayyay I love it and
Saemy A. 17 Sep 2018
the recipe is very helpful however unable to view the direction from number 5 onwards. try to scroll down the screen is stuck and of no help.
Matt B. 1 Sep 2018
great, it had a really good taste to it
Alene Fernandis 19 Jul 2018
This is amazing recipe!