The one thing better than a warm slice of homemade apple pie is having a whole pie all to yourself. Even better than that is a perfectly portioned mini caramel apple pie! These adorable lattice top mini pies are sure to summon "ooohs" and "aaahs" from everyone you share them with. Just pop these muffin tin pies into the oven and fill your home with the smell of caramel, apples, and buttery baked crust.
Caramel Apple Mini Pies Makes 8
Ingredients: 3 cups apples (peeled and diced, Jonathan or Granny Smith) 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar 1/4 cup sugar 2 tbsp all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/8 tsp nutmeg 1/8 tsp salt 1/2 tbsp lemon juice 1/2 tsp vanilla 2 tbsp heavy cream 2 tbsp butter 1 egg white 1 package refrigerated pie crusts (or your favorite recipe)
- Peel and dice apples.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and add apples. Toss to mix. Add vanilla and cream.
- Melt butter in heavy skillet. Add apple mixture and cook approximately 6 minutes to soften apples.
- Remove crusts from fridge. Flatten out one of the doughs on a cutting board.
- Gently cut 4 inch circles of dough using a cup, bowl, or cookie cutter with a 4-inch diameter.
- Press dough into the muffin tin cups, making a thin even layer on the bottom and around the sides.
- Spoon apple mixture into each cup right up to the rim , but no higher.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut out small strips (6 per pie) slightly longer than the width of the top of the pies. Lay strips across the tops in a lattice pattern and attach to edges of pies using the end of butter knife.
- Lightly brush egg white over tops of lattice.
- Bake pies at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apple mixture is bubbling.
Make sure to serve these beauties with vanilla ice cream! For added indulgence, try topping them off with a drizzle of salted caramel sauce.