Apples, cinnamon, and toasty drinks are as much a part of autumn as red-gold leaves and slick yellow rain boots. Enjoy one of the signature scents of the season by cooking up your own spiced apple cider! Pair it with a cozy knitted blanket, a thick Russian novel, and a crackling fireplace, and you've got yourself one lovely night.
- 6 cups apple cider
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 1 orange peel (cut into strips)
- 1 lemon peel (cut into strips)
- Pour the apple cider and maple syrup into a large stainless steel saucepan.
- Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries, orange peel and lemon peel in the center of a washed square of cheesecloth; fold up the sides of the cheesecloth to enclose the bundle, then tie it up with a length of kitchen string. Drop the spice bundle into the cider mixture.
- Place the saucepan over moderate heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cider is very hot but not boiling.
- Remove the cider from the heat. Discard the spice bundle. Ladle the cider into big cups or mugs, adding a fresh cinnamon stick to each serving if desired.
Or try one of these other toasty Yummly recipes!
[Hot Buttered Rum
Related Searches on Yummly: